We have only just begun to realize the impact that video will have on online marketing. Remember how much of a game-changer television ads were to print and radio? Just imagine what happens when online video does the same thing to internet advertising.
From Lean Forward to Lean Back
Millennials today watch less live "traditional" TV than other groups (41% to 59%), and nearly 3X as much online video than non-Millennials (34% to 12%) (source). They are watching on mobile devices and connected TVs, which allows for individually addressable advertisements. This is driving yet another revolution in online video: in recent history, watching online video meant sitting at our desks in a “lean forward” mode. Now, online video is now available to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Now, we can watch video in line at Starbucks, or surf through videos while leaning back on our couches at home.
Soon, it will be possible to watch a custom-curated channel of online videos tailored just for you. Sometimes, you'll want to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones; other times, your custom channel. Such personalization and accessibility are especially important to marketers who know that buyers are extremely adept at filtering out unwanted marketing messages. A marketer may not be able to reach a prospect through e-mail or phone, but once a video gets into a customized feed that reflects the prospect’s exact personal interests, the video will stimulate action.
How to Optimize Your Marketing with Online Video
In February, 2011 I explored this topic in my blog post, How to Optimize Your B2B Marketing and Sales with Online Video. In it, I shared my top 10 recommendations to promote your online videos (which do you think are still true?):
- Search optimize your video with text summary.
- Replace static ads with viral pay-per-click (PPC) displays.
- Capture sales leads with longer form video.
- Bolster conversion with YouTube promotion and Call-To-Action overlays.
- Integrate video into your email marketing.
- Increase downloads of marketing collateral with a video-enabled landing page.
- Leverage social media.
- Feature videos on your website.
- It’s all about control… and a consistent brand.
- Create sales videos to engage and qualify buyers.